Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Time Capsule

I walked in on my father watching TV. There was something unique about his appearance. His face was not only glowing from the flicker in a dim room, but it had a rather joyous expression. Almost frozen in time, no movement, faint breathing and quite possibly a little drool on his chin. Now I must inform you that I have walked into the living room many times to see my father watching TV. But I have never seen this facial expression. Many of the times his face is either seconds away from being buried into his chest or it is a stoic gelatinous slate. But this time was a nice surprise. I even stood in the doorway a few seconds and just watched him. Before I knew it a little smirk began to arise on my face.

What was he watching?

It is amazing how wonderful good memories are. There is something that just lights your heart's fire with remembrance of old friends and noteworthy events. I have so many. Matter of fact several of my friends have asked for "Story time with Uncle Jimmy". I think there is something precious about reliving and even acting out old, unforgettable moments. Even recently I had a chance to spend some time with old friends. Our conversation almost immediately went to "Jimmy do you remember..." Here is the sad part. About half of the stories I had completely forgot. It was interesting to hear stories that I was in but had not recollection of. And many of the stories were the old me never to return again.

You know I feel the same way now. I have been told to return to my true love. To go back to the time when I first met them and all the remarkable times we shared. In hindsight those times were so amazing. My dearest friend even shared with me some memories of us getting to know each other and some over the top moments that has strengthen my love. Some, I just forgot. I kinda remember different ones but it was so long ago and sadly many stories seem unreal. I do remember that ever decision I made revolved around spending more time with them. Thinking of different questions so I could learn more about who they were and how they feel about me. Even my communication with others had only one purpose. The purpose of learning exactly what they knew about this person.

My father was watching an old black and white movie. I am almost sure that his face reflected his heart's wish to return to a better time. My father is unable to repeat that time in history. But as for me and Jesus, that time is readily available.

No comments:

Post a Comment